Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Fitted Sloper-tunic


With the help of Maddie's front and back sloper tutorial I was able to create my first fitted, me-made shirt! This shirt is everything but professional, with seams tucked in opposite directions, bunched hems, and bulging fabric around the collar. Nevertheless, I am determined to show it off at school tomorrow. 

As I said, the top part of the bodice is a sloper pattern, and the bottom, made with many panels that widen at the base, is reminiscent of an a-line skirt. When constructing and sewing this garment I took a different approach than I usually do; patience and diligence. 

Most of the time I am so excited to finish my project that I rush through it and make dumb mistakes. Sometimes I get lucky and it turns out perfect but mostly I am disappointed by the thing. It took me three weeks and lots of patience to finally finish this one, but I am glad that I took my time and re-did some of the easier-to-fix mistakes because it turned out just as I had imagined it!

While hemming this one I learned something that will save my butt many times in the future, using a criss-cross stitch to hem raveling edges. 

The hems on industrial garments have always stumped me, but today while browsing Scruffy Badger Time, I came across how they do it. It's a four or three threaded stitch! 
Sadly my sewing machine does not have that ability. I look forward to moving to the US and buying a new sewing machine (mine is not compatible with the voltage in the wall plug-ins) that can do four-threaded stitches!




No comments:

Post a Comment