Thursday, May 15, 2014

waking up early is good for your soul

For the past five months or so, I've been waking up an hour and a half earlier than one must. Partially because I love showering in the morning and partially because I always dawdle, even when in a hurry, which is rare. But the main reason is to have a whole hour to myself every morning, no matter how busy I am with school assignments, that one hour in the morning is untouchable

I cannot over emphasize how wonderful this has been. To wake up, shower, and make myself breakfast as the morning mist slowly rises out of the grass outside. I sit at the kitchen table with a cup of tea and my laptop, watching the sun dispel the gloomy silence of dawn. 

It's amazing how much you can get done in an hour. 


I am a planner, and I like to think about what I will do the next morning (usually some small project that will neaten the house (like the bobby-pin matchbox above), an article on this blog, Pinterest, working on my book, drawing). 


I get up the next morning without the incredible blaaaah that used to accompany my heinously annoying alarm clock (the worst song on the planet for waking up to, but oh so terribly effective 'Frustrated Unnoticed' by Damone). Looking forward to my shower and taking my time to dally around in the kitchen. 

However, no good can come of waking up early if you go to bed late. Late as in ten or eleven. As well as waking up before needs be, I go to bed a couple of hours before what is considered a 'socially acceptable' bedtime. Eight o'clock. 

When my school mates are dragging themselves from classroom to classroom (I drag myself as well, but thats because of my rock of a back-pack, it seems to get heavier as the day goes on) I am without the need to moan "I'm so tired" every five minutes or so. 

I was reading an article by James Altucher on how to become an idea machine when I realized I already do these things, albeit not exactly. I get up in the morning and exercise my idea muscle, and keep exercising it throughout the day. 

Waking up early can be an opportunity to have some me-time for those too busy to find it elsewhere. Giving yourself time is as important as working hard, and with an hour every morning to nourish your interests, your soul and sanity will bloom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment