Sunday, March 16, 2014

Moodboards: Trying it out


While cleaning out my clutter drawer (there is only one of them) a couple of weeks ago I re-possesed my giant design-book from all the junk. Seriously, the thing weighs a ton, black hard-cover and all. 

When I was younger I used to draw my designs in that humongous book. One per page. It grated on my nerves that I had left so much white, wasted space around my design sketches. So I spent two hours cutting and pasting the sketches that I could, trying to condense them. I was partially successful, and what you see here is a snapshot of everything I made (but most things I was just fantasizing about making) when I was 7-10 years old. 


That same day while perusing Madalynne which I am wont to do often, very often (I believe I have linked Maddie's blog in a post one too many times, but I can't help it! I am inspired by her take on sewing) I came across her moodboard for this dress


From what I have garnered, a moodboard is a type of collage for garments you have sewn. Maddie's reflected on the skills she had learned/improved, some of the difficulties she came across, and her inspiration when sewing the garment. 

I decided to try it out by making a moodboard for my latest creation, the Fitted Sloper-tunic

Mine is a little bit different. I decided to write some general notes on the fit to start off with, then try and find some solutions to those fitting issues and any other problems I had in the 'design improvement' section in case I wanted to re-make the same garment at a later date. Lastly, I finished with listing all of the mistakes I made when putting the piece together for future reference and to improve my sewing self. 



I also drew a basic sketch of the garment and pasted a picture of myself wearing it as well as a piece of the fabric I used. To decorate I did a rough imitation of the pattern and colors of my fabric using water colors. 

Get used to it! There will be many more of these in future blog posts. These collages are a fun way to learn more about your sewing process, document your makes, and get better at sewing all at the same time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment