Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Paneled Circle-Skirt


This gorgeous circle skirt was originally inspired by an a-line skirt tutorial I found on line (that I can't find now! Sorry!). Somewhere along the way the hand-stitched polyester-and-linen blend became a high-waisted circle skirt reminiscent of the 50s. 



I started off by hemming both sides of the panel with a single-fold hem. Then I sewed all of the panels together so that the raw sides of the hems faced each other. I left one of the seams open for an invisible zipper and hemmed the bottom with a sing-fold hem.



Installing my first invisible zipper was quite a challenge but I eventually succeeded. I had placed it a bit too far down, however this was quickly remedied by a small clasp above the zipper. 

I had not thought about tucking in the raw top of the zipper so that solution was...tacky. Thankfully it is not visible. 



I do not like to repeat patterns because I dislike have two of the same garments in my closet (even in different fabrics). Here I was thirsting after a chance to perfect my skirt pattern, and three of my friends asked me to make one for them!

Hand stitching this garment gave me an amazing amount of time to just.think. 

This pattern has so much potential and is very simple to make. I especially love the thick waistband, but I did not cut it carefully enough and the seams did not meet. This worked out perfectly because the uneven waist seam allowed the hem to be completely even. 


No comments:

Post a Comment