Wednesday, April 2, 2014

An Avocado Page


If I'm going to be frank with myself, and pick and choose, this moodboard is my favorite by far. I managed to recreate the salmon pink I dyed my shirt in perfectly with watercolors. Resonating with the style of the garment itself, this moodboard is simple, clear-cut and beautiful. 

To start off with, I double hemmed all sides of the panels excluding the collar. This was before I knew how to use the zig-zag stitch to hem raveling edges. It makes for an extremely chunky side-seam. 

The collar was a very happy and elegant mistake. I did not (and still don't, really) know how to hem a collar, so I tried my best and created a stylish v-neck without intending to! The shoulder seams near the collar are a bit messier. Since half the sleeve is folded inside and under, the shoulder seam had to hold it in place. I have to admit this could have been accomplished in better ways than I accomplished it. 

I love how I left a little bit of the side-seam open at the bottom. The shirt fits easily over a pair of jeans and doesn't bunch up around the stomach. Plus it looks so professional! 

I encourage everyone to make a moodboard (or a journal entry, collage, or something) for the garments they sew. It will be an invaluable snapshot of your past and what you've made, not to mention fun to look back on! 

No comments:

Post a Comment